Melissa has been a psychologist since March 2010 and has extensive experience working within private and government clinical settings across both Victoria and Queensland. Melissa has worked in various different roles at Monash Health from 2012-2017 including the Alcohol and Other Drug Service, Psychiatric Triage Service and Southern Dual Diagnosis Service providing assessments, counselling services, training and capacity building to stakeholder agencies to effect change in service delivery. Melissa is passionate about behaviour change and is a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT).
Melissa completed a Master of Addictive Behaviours in 2017 and most recently returned to Melbourne after completing a Master of Clinical Psychology at Central Queensland University. Whilst studying in QLD Melissa worked at Queensland Health in the CQ Mental Health and Alcohol and Other Drug Service. Melissa has also provided clinical counselling services for GP referred provincial, rural and remote clients in the Mackay, Whitsunday and Hinterland regions of north Queensland.
Melissa is passionate about working with clients who have a dual diagnosis (comorbid substance use disorder and mental illness) and strives to help people live rich and meaningful lives. Melissa takes a nonjudgmental stance in her delivery of therapeutic approaches and seeks to understand the individual’s perspectives and experiences. Adopting a collaborative approach to therapy, Melissa strongly believes that people are experts in their own lives.
Melissa strives to maintain a balanced work-life, is passionate about travel and recently returned from Vietnam. She has also completed the Oxfam 100km walk in 2016 and despite vowing to never complete it again was back in 2017!
- Dual Diagnosis (comorbid substance use disorder and mental illness)
- Addiction: Drugs and alcohol (including smoking)
- Suicide Intervention and self-harm
- Adjustment/Transitions (job loss, injury, parenthood)
- Anger Management
- Anxiety disorders (generalized anxiety, OCD, social phobia, panic disorder)
- Relaxation Techniques
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Relationship Issues/Separation
- Workplace difficulties: Stress and Bullying
- Carer support
- Low self-esteem and assertiveness training
- Communication skills
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Motivational interviewing
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy
Melissa is available at our Ringwood office Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday and at our Canterbury office on Wednesday.