Liisa Meys is a Clinical Psychologist registrar who completed her undergraduate training in a Bachelor of Psychological Science with Honours in 2012 and further completed her university training with a Master of Clinical Psychology at the University of Queensland in 2018. Liisa has been working as a Psychologist since April 2016 and has extensive experience in assessment, counselling and treatment with children aged 10 years and over, adolescents and young people, adults and older adults. She specialises in child, adolescent and adult trauma, childhood emotional disorders such as anxiety and depression, eating disorders, personality disorders and addiction. Liisa is highly trained in working with individual clients as well as clients in a group setting, and has conducted an alcohol and other substances group in the Mental Health Unit at the Prince Charles Hospital and a mindfulness group at the University of Queensland. She plans to further train in trauma and become an EMDR qualified Psychologist.
Liisa has worked in multiple workplace settings, including private practice, hospital and outpatient settings. Whilst working at the private clinic at the University of Queensland she was able to further enhance her skills in clinical assessment, treatment and relapse prevention with clients of all ages and also provide cognitive and academic assessments, including reports for clients as needed. She also is a qualified PPP, (Positive Parenting) clinician for children and young people of all ages, including those with developmental and neurological delays.
She completed an externship with headspace Taringa in QLD and the Child and Youth Mental Health Service in Caboolture, where she developed her skills in assessing and treating childhood trauma and other emotional disorders. She further completed her externship at The Prince Charles Hospital Community Clinic in the Alcohol and Other Drug Department, where she gained extensive knowledge and skills in treating alcohol and other substance misuse. She has further then worked at a private clinic seeing clients of all ages in an individual setting.
- Depression & suicide risk assessment and intervention
- Anxiety (including generalised anxiety, OCD, social, panic disorder)
- Eating Disorders (including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorder)
- Adult and child trauma (including sexual abuse, PTSD)
- Addiction including substance misuse and other addictive behaviours (food, gambling, etc.)
- Personality disorders
- Mood disorders (including Bipolar)
- Relationship conflict/separation/break-up
- Life transitions and adjustment difficulties (including parenting, job loss, retirement)
- Grief and loss
- Low self-esteem
- Communication skills (and assertiveness training)
- Positive Parenting and Circle of Security for children, young people and parents.
- Report writing and cognitive/and or academic assessment (IQ included).
- Sexuality (gay, lesbian, transgender etc)
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Interpersonal Therapy
- Schema Therapy
- Mindfulness Training
- Motivational Interviewing
- Play therapy
- Children aged 10 + (including parent/child sessions)
- Adolescents and Young People
- Older adults
- Group therapy
Liisa is a warm and compassionate person who approaches her clients with empathy and care. She balances her approach by allowing clients to direct their sessions with what they want and need, combined with her expertise, experience and knowledge she guides clients to achieve their therapeutic and life goals. She aims to provide a safe and secure environment where clients can be honest and authentic about their feelings, thoughts, difficulties, experiences and develop positive goals for the future. She has the skills and ability to properly diagnose and treat complex client needs with an unconditional positive regard and understanding approach. She has extensive experience working with marginalised groups in the community, including the LGBTIQA+ and Indigenous and cross-cultural groups.
She looks forward to working with you at DS Psychology Group!
Liisa is available for day and After hours appointments at our Ringwood office Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays.