Irene has over 15 years clinical experience in the public sector, and over the course of her career she has worked extensively with infants; children; youth; young adults, and families who have experienced mental health difficulties including exposure to complex trauma.
Irene is a relational therapist, and believes establishing trust and safety in the therapeutic relationship is key to supporting individual growth and change. Having experience and training in various disciplines, it gives her the ability to address issues in a variety of ways. In session, Irene works towards generating a shared understanding with her clients about what is happening for them and why. She believes it is critical to meet a person where they are at in their recovery journey. She is highly passionate about her work; is kind, empathic, thoughtful and is always happy to think creatively about how to tackle a problem.
As well as working privately she continues to work in public mental health (over 10 years), specifically child and adolescent mental health. She works as part of a multidisciplinary community team providing high-quality mental health assessment, case management, family/parent therapy, and clinical treatment and interventions for children and young people with serious mental health illness. Irene also works for a sexual assault agency where she provides short term crisis and advocacy work to recent victim/ survivors of sexual assault.
Irene has extensive experience providing clinical supervision to staff within her field.
clinical specialties include –
- Complex trauma
- Personality disorders
- Post-Traumatic stress disorder
- Pervasive developmental disorders
- Behavioural issues
- Interpersonal difficulties
- Life transition / adjustment disorders
- Existential issues/ meaninglessness
- Grief and loss
- Anxiety and depression
- Individuation difficulties including separation anxiety
- Eating disorders specifically anorexia nervosa including family-based therapy
- Relationship issues
- Parenting support and strategies
- Carer support
- Family violence including abusive relationships
- Substance and alcohol misuse
- Suicide Intervention and self-harm
- Anger management issues and emotional regulation issues
- Social isolation
- Bullying and friendship Issues
- Broader systemic interventions
Irene is available fortnightly Friday afternoon and Saturday mornings.